Saturday, April 17, 2010

Knitting and Reading

I always have several knitting projects going. I can't wait to graduate and possibly have more time to knit. Which is a bit of a fantasy, I admit, because when I graduate I'll be moving, hopefully have a job, and settling into my new life in the outside world.

Anyway, as for my knitting right now I am knitting a Gryffindor scarf (for those not familiar with Harry Potter, it is a red and gold striped scarf). It is a paid commission, so I'm hoping to finish it quickly. I'm also working on a baby blanket based off of this pattern from knitty.com. It's slightly altered, the stripes are rainbow colors and in roygbiv order, with a green with white polka dots fabric for the backing. There are three other girls working on the blanket with me, we switch off every so often.

I just finished reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood for the second time, except this time I read the "Historical Notes" which I never realized are part of the narrative before. They greatly changed my thoughts on the book, and I'm excited to talk about it in class Tuesday morning. I also just finished Brave New World by Aldous Huxley for my English Seminar class. For such a small book it contains an immense amount of meaning, with allusions from other literature, Freudian psychanalysis, Pavlov, and Henry Ford. I switched the topic of my research paper to this book, though I don't have a focus yet. I'm currently reading The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri and am almost done with it. I love the author's writing style, so detailed you can almost feel the texture of the silk saris, the taste of the food, I plan to pick up anyhing else Lahiri has written after school ends.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, welcome to the dark side: Blogspot. I tried to become a follower, but my computer's being stupid.
    The "Historical Notes" on Handmaid's Tale confused me slightly the first time I reached what I had thought to be the end of the story. It actually struck me as a weak ending to the novel compared to what I thought had been the end. I don't know, everyone takes it so differently.

    ReplyDelete